Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. I Chronicles 16:34 (NIV)
Happy Day After Thanksgiving! Yesterday was too hectic and exhausting to post, but I hope everyone had a wonderful day. We had a houseful, with more food than we could eat and a beautiful day to go outside and wake up when post lunch drowsiness set in. Right now, with a quiet house (everyone’s still sleeping) and all the dishes finally put away, I have a minute to reflect on all I have to be thankful for. Here’s my list of the top ten:
1. A husband who not only helped me prepare the turkey for roasting the night before, including searching the innards for a nonexistent bag of giblets that I was afraid would be mush if left inside and went to the store to buy a meat thermometer because it didn’t come with a pop up, but who also got up early to help me put it in to cook. All without me having to ask.
2. Both boys and adopted daughter home this year. And adopted daughter’s special someone, too. In some ways, it has been a rough year for my kids, but I am confident it will make them stronger and prepare them for a satisfying life.
3. Both of our parents still active and healthy. My mom and dad at the table with us. Husband’s parents just a phone call away. In fact, his dad called at 11:00 to check on our turkey and remind us that it should be done.
4. My sister and her family were also here. Helping and bringing surplus furniture for youngest son’s apartment. We had some good laughs together about raising kids. And my sister instigated a game of Apples to Apples after lunch.
5. Dogs running around our feet. Bringing balls to be thrown and begging for treats. They bring such added joy to our lives.
6. A carved wooden leaf and pumpkin from Guatemala on the table to remind me of the children and workers there and how thankful I am for them and their influence on my life. The thought that I will be going back in March and my sister will go with me.
7. A bright blue sky, cooler temperatures and a sunny day to lure us outside and remind me how blessed we are to live in a paradise where some people pay tons of money just to visit.
8. A phone call from my mom’s brother to wish us Happy Thanksgiving and remind me of my extended family, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins who helped to make us who we are today. Though not with us, their legacy lives on.
9. A house bursting at the seams with love and joy. Such better possessions than furniture or knickknacks!
10. God who has given it all to us, Who changes lives, Who loves unconditionally and Who forgives and forgets the moment we ask.
What about you? What is on your list of things to be thankful for? Just because it is the day after Thanksgiving doesn’t mean you can’t still be thankful!